1) Calf muscle pump dysfunction develops during hospitalization. Bed stay leads to a reduction in heart rate and a 47% decrease in venous outflow.
2) 50% of clots originate in the valve cusps of the soleal veins due to stasis.
3) More than 75% of DVTs develop between day one and the ninth day.
4) DVT develops on average, 17 days following TKR and 27 days after THR.
5) Risk of DVT extends until patients are fully ambulatory, making prophylaxis critical.
6) Only 20% of surgical patients receive SCD prophylaxis after discharged.
How blood clots form?
VeinOPlus DVT is an ultra-portable electro-muscle stimulator (EMS) device, weighing 24 grams and powered by a 9 volt battery. The device treats and prevents calf muscle pump dysfunction, promotes patient compliance, prevents venous stasis, and subsequently DVT.
VeinOPlus DVT is programmed to run for 3 hours before auto shut-off. The device operates on a recurring five minute cyclic signal pattern.
During the first 4 minutes, the device delivers 60 impulses each minute. This segment of the cycle is designed to increase venous outflow volume and prevents stasis.
VeinOPlus DVT increases venous outflow volume 1.4 to 3.3 times more than SCDs.
During the 5th minute, the impulse signal pattern changes by design to increase venous velocity. The impulse signal drops from 60 impulses per minute to 27 impulses with intervals of 1 to 8 seconds. This signal pattern maximizes increased venous outflow velocity and prevents venous pooling behind the valve cusps.
VeinOPlus DVT increases venous outflow velocity 1.4 times greater than SCDs.
The first 9 seconds and the last 22 seconds of the video depicts the effect of how 60 impulses per minute (during the first 4 minutes) assures venous volume outflow and prevents venous stasis.
From 9 – 35 seconds, the video depicts how the programming of 27 impulses during the fifth minute significantly increases venous velocity outflow and clears pooling of venous blood behind the valve cusps of the soleal veins. This is crucial since a majority of clots form behind the valve cusps. VeinOPlus DVT increases venous outflow velocity 1.4 times greater than SCDs.